Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Whole Chicken

One of the most difficult aspects of Paleo is the preparation and planning part of the lifestyle.  It is so easy, when you're following the SAD (standard American diet), to just pick up something to eat or throw something together, but with Paleo, it is necessary to plan so you are not just grabbing anything that's easy (like McDonalds).  It can be really hard to make good food choices when you're REALLY hungry. 

One of the easiest things I like to keep on hand is a whole, cooked chicken.  I make one at least once a week; it is easy to take to work and I can eat it for several meals.  Cooking a whole chicken is SO easy!  I was always afraid that it was complicated and I did NOT want to clean anything out of the bird.  Thank goodness the butcher does it for me!

Here is the recipe for the seasoning I used on the chicken.  I used a mortar and pestle to grind my parsley, sage and sea salt and then to mix everything.  I also make several incisions in the skin and rub the seasoning on the meat.  I then rubbed the rest of the seasoning on the skin and put some in the cavity.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 2 hours or until the appropriate temperature on a meat thermometer.  Enjoy!

 

Chicken Seasoning


1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sage (I used crushed)
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1/8 teaspoon chili powder

No comments:

Post a Comment