Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Easy Station Dinner

Hamburgers, sweet potato fries and asparagus!
One of the things I have noticed about following Paleo is that I no longer crave the sweet, sugary treats I did when was was eating a standard American diet (SAD).  No, now I crave MEAT, mostly hamburgers or meatballs but fantastically wonderful, grass fed beef that I buy at the local butcher shop.  So tonight at work I decided to make hamburgers. (On a side note, I never realized how wonderful a burger could be until I ate a grass fed burger without the bun.  The bread really detracts from the full flavor of the meat.)  Tonight I was lucky and made it through prep, cooking, eating and was just washing my last dish when we got a call; I am so thankful for the little things. 


Hamburgers

Burgers are also wonderful because you can change the flavor as much as you want.  Sometimes I will season the meat with taco seasoning and top it with guacamole.  Other times I will just add what I can pull out of the fridge: bell peppers, onions, garlic.  Tonight was easy: garlic powder, cracked pepper, chili powder, sea salt (just a pinch)  and parsley, whatever I could find in the cabinet.   Grilled on the top rack (indirect heat) so they retained the tasty juices and didn't burn.  This takes a little longer but allows for cooking the sides.


Sweet potato fries

While the burgers were cooking, I cut up a sweet potato into "fries," placed on a cookie sheet and drizzled some Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top.  Then I seasoned with a little sea salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder.  I baked them for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring and flipping about half way through.  These tasted wonderful!


Asparagus

Before I began eating paleo I would have never thought that I would make and eat asparagus.  However, when I decided to follow this lifestyle, I knew that I would need to be more open to trying a wider variety of foods and asparagus was one of those veggies.  Now it is one of my favorite things to make because it is so easy!  I wash and trim the stalks, then place on tinfoil on the grill (top rack always! unless you are going to babysit the grill - and I do not have time for that).  Drizzle with EVOO and sea salt and pepper to taste.  I love that I can cook the asparagus on the grill and clean up is so easy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment